Crochet Blanket

Well these cold nights are certainly good for sitting in front of the heater and crocheting.

After a family member announced their pregnancy I thought of what I could make for the baby, I procrastinated for so long that I have only just finished the blanket and the baby is now 2 weeks old!

I made a granny square blanket using up remnants of 1/2 finished balls of wool.  I reversed the colour combinations (green with orange and orange with green etc.) and included blue and pink as I didn't know the sex of the expected baby.

With a couple of different border ideas and colours the blanket is finished and ready to go to the newest member of our family.


With any left over wool I knitted a ball.                 To make this I cast on 16 stitches and knit 60 rows of garter stitch, although if or when I make another one I will knit more rows (I am a tight knitter so it ended up rather small).  Make 8 of these strips.  Join the ends of two strips together to make two rings.  Before you make the 3rd ring weave the strip between the two rings and then join the ends.  Repeat for each subsequent strip.  It requires a bit of fiddling to get the last two strips in but it is well worth the effort.       

Enjoy

Ann
©

17 comments

  1. Hi Ann interesting reading as an ex local farmer i have time to read these things now i have retired .I know nothing of Knitting craft or crochet as you probably know but "M" still does.Keep up the good work,Ken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ken, now that you are retired you could find a local group to teach you how to knit and crochet. Thanks for the kind words.

      Delete
    2. Hi Ann thanks for the ideas but i think i will just stay with lawnbowls

      Delete
  2. Can you teach me Crochet please?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are such pretty colours. Thanks for the instructions for the ball, great idea.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kylie, my Aunty showed me the knitted ball idea. It uses up leftover wool bits and also makes a great baby gift.

      Delete
  4. I bet the parents were thrilled with that blanket. What a lovely way for a new baby to stay warm in winter. Love the baking post too. The blog looks great and is really easy to read. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rhonda,
      The new parents did love the blanket and we got to see the new arrival, too cute.

      Delete
  5. Thanks Rhonda, hopefully the parcel will arrive next week to the new baby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the blanket and such beautiful colours and I loved that knitted ball, something I will have to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes the ball is simple to knit and just requires a bit of fiddling to weave the strips.

      Delete
  7. That is a beautiful blanket. Such a lovely gift. I know what you mean about procrastinating. I have been knitting a patchwork blanket for my daughter for a LONG time now. Time to get back into it. Your blog looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I seem to start a lot of projects and then rush to finish them before the occasion of their gifting.

      Delete
  8. Your crocheted blanket is just beautiful! I love the knitted ball, too. I will have to try it. I just sent a crocheted baby blanket to a friend's grandson. It's a wonderful feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, I think handmade gifts are wonderful to give and to receive.

      Delete
  9. Such pretty colours, well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb, my colour choices were limited to what I had on hand, thankfully they went together beautifully.

      Delete

Thank you for taking your time to contact me. I enjoy reading your thoughts and ideas.